Flipkart

Wednesday 14 October 2015

Author Interview of Live your Truth.

Author Interview of Live your Truth by Sandy Cooper

About the Book

Sandy’s story is familiar, yet extraordinary. Her experience will resonate with many readers who will see themselves in her. They will recognize parts of their own life in Sandy’s struggles to find her in the midst of crushing family obligations, professional concerns, and personal obstacles. Sandy’s strong-willed and fiercely independent nature is the driving force behind her personal reinvention and serves as an inspiration for those who join her on this journey. You may not know Sandy personally but after reading her story, you’ll soon consider her a close and trusted friend. Live Your Truth is precisely that: honest and true.


Author Bio:
Sandy Cooper holds a degree in Design and an MBA in Operations from Cornell University. Over the past twenty years, she has had a diversified career in the retail, apparel, consumer goods, and aesthetic industries. Sandy has learned that in the fast-paced world of brand innovation, reinvention is critical, and she has applied that ideal to herself with her own writing and exploration. Just as in business, Sandy believes that every day is a new opportunity to examine your life and to choose the best ways to be successful and happy and to live your truth. This is her first book.
Sandy states, "I wrote the book because I felt that if I didn’t tell my story, I wouldn’t make it out of the other side.  My best friend was my computer, where I sat and wrote every day, trying to make sense of things.  Writing was the way I deciphered the hopscotch of people and situations that crossed my path.  I didn’t write with the intention of publishing, I wrote because I needed to free my thoughts.  In the end, I ended up publishing, with the hope that it could help others." 

1. What inspired you to write the book? When did you realize that you wanted to write a book?

I can answer both of these questions at the same time since they go hand in hand.  What happened is that I was living a story that had energy.  The more the series of events unfolded, the more that the threads to the story appeared.  I starting writing bullet points on my iPhone and iPad while I was sitting in physician waiting rooms.  Distracting myself from the other patients and jotting down notes on my electronic devices was my way of insulating myself from everyone and everything.  I was basically “too busy”.  This invisible protective shield became self fulfilling.  The more I tuned out, the more I could stay in denial of what was occurring around me.  The greater the denial, the more my internal energy built up.  The greater the build up of energy, the greater the need for a release.  Momentum was building within each note that I wrote and the notes turned into sentences which turned into paragraphs which turned into 100 pages of content. 
When the real life story started to hit epic proportions, I amped up the writing.  One morning, someone asked me in a physician waiting room what I was doing.  Kiddingly I said that I was “writing a book”.  They asked me what it was about and I started to describe the story.  As I was speaking, I noticed that the story created a common bond between the two of us and hearing my story seemed to help them cope with their story.  During the story telling interaction, both of us actually laughed at the absurdity of the situation.  The interaction created a real common bond between us and I thought to myself, maybe I REALLY SHOULD write a book.
This thought gave me hope and a true distraction.  I had a project to work on to keep me occupied while sitting in medical offices.  One thing led to another and before you know it, I was researching “how to write a book”.  I found an agency on the internet that helped me with editing and self publishing, and before you know it, I had a book on Amazon. 

2. Who helped you in writing the book and please say about their contributions?

I worked with an agency called Kevin Anderson & Associates.  Kevin walked me through the logistics of the publishing process.  I signed a contract with him for grammatical editing, and for launching on Amazon.  I wrote the content of the book, found the cover picture (which is me as a kid) and Kevin and his team took care of the logistics. 

3. How is your book going to inspire the readers?

My hope is that the book will instill HOPE for readers.  I’m hoping that readers will see themselves in my situations and feel as through there is light at the end of the tunnel.  If I can make it, they can make it too. 

 4. If you are given he chance to change one thing in your book, what would it be?

I wouldn’t change anything.  I did my best.  It’s a very accurate description of what happened.  

5. How do you find time to write and which part of the day is best for writing?

Like anything, if you really want to do something, you will find the time. 

6. Which books have inspired you the most, in the journey of writing this book?

Eat, Pray, Love

7. What is the best advice you would give for writers who are trying to write a book?

Find a story that you are passionate about and just tell it.  Don’t worry about editing, punctuation or grammar, just tell the story.  When you are in the zone, you’ll know it because you won’t be able to stop writing.  Copywriters and editors can fix all the logistical things after.   Just focus on the emotion of the story. 
Also, plan on spending money.  Hire professional people to help you.  Don’t rely on your neighbor or old college teacher to help with editing.  Completing a book is expensive ($10K+) and it can be a money pit unless you are a famous author.  Don’t quit your day job, writing a book should be more of a hobby until a book deal comes along. 

8. What are your hobbies?

Writing, hiking and yard work

 9. What can we expect from you in the future? 

Book #2 is in the making.  Right now, it’s a series of notes.  It will be a continuation of book #1 where I move away from my caregiving role and get back into the working world.  I’m in the process of living the story before I can write about it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

badge